Critical Reflection

Module Learning

 One of my goals I set myself at the start of the course is to become a more confident speaker by honing my public speaking skills. Reflecting on my journey through this module, it is evident that the insights gained and strategies employed have significantly contributed to my growth. In particular, Garr Reynold’s delivery tips have helped me by addressing my nervousness. It played a pivotal role in transforming my approach towards presentations.

During the mock oral presentation, I was stuttering my words and had awkward pauses during my speech as I lost my train of thought. With the feedback I have gotten from the prof,

I realised that preparation was important. By carefully crafting and rehearsing my presentation material, I not only internalised the content but also developed a more natural flow without a dependence on a script. 

Rehearsing the presentation has familiarised me with the material and instilled newfound confidence, resulting in a noticeable decrease in anxiety and an overall improvement in performance, allowing for a more composed and engaging delivery during the presentation.

However, I still have a lot of room for improvement, I need to work on my eye contact to appear more engaging towards the audience. I will take mental notes on how the module emphasises the non verbal cues such as body language and eye contact and work on them by practising and rehearsing more.

Improving my public speaking skills is not merely a checkbox marked off but a continuous journey of improvement. The module served as a catalyst, providing tools and useful insights. The newfound confidence not only contributes to my communication skills but also aligns with my broader goal of opening doors to diverse opportunities in my future career by being a confident speaker.



Project Learning
Engaging in our team's research project provided valuable insights into both myself and my teammates, reshaping my views on learning and emphasising the significance of effective teamwork. For our team’s research project, It was easy to get everybody on the same page as our goals were aligned from the getgo. The tasks were delegated early on, if there was nobody doing a portion of the report, we took the initiative to research and write on it. With this team dynamic, the group work was smooth flowing because of the discussions that we had. 

However, all of us have different strengths and weaknesses, some of us might not be as strong in writing and therefore we helped each other by proof reading segments of the reports. This allowed us to check each other's work and improve our writing. Some of us might be a stronger presenter than a writer, and therefore helped more during the presentation by taking the difficult parts of the presentation, giving directions on the slides and the flow of the presentation.

From writing the report to giving the presentation, constant communication within the team through group chats such as telegram and discussions in person was important as it allowed us to work seamlessly together. In my future career, one way or another, I will have to work in a group and this project has shown me that team dynamics are important, we have to recognise each other's strengths and correctly apply them to be an effective group.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory Email

Interpretation of quote